Sneath's Mill 1800's
Millers at Sneath’s Mill
Tracing the owners and tenants of the mill is problematic, as confusion arises with the other mills in the area. Evidence from the trade directories would indicate that both Sneath’s Mill and Harrison’s Mill were referred to as ‘Roman Bank Mill’ at varying times. It has not been possible to disentangle these entries with certainty, although further archival research may produce a more comprehensive list of millers for the site. To further complicate matters, the 19th- and 20th-century trade directories contain further entries for a ‘Roman Bank mill’ in the parish of Holbeach, some distance to the north (mortgages 1810 to 1840, LAO Misc Don 103/1). The mills in the parish of Sutton St Nicholas are not given distinct names, and are often referred to simply as being at ‘Gowts’.
In 1826, two flour dealers and millers are listed in Long Sutton - John Cartwright and son, and Henry Wrout. Specific addresses are not listed, but as Harrison’s Mill was not built at this time, the two millers would most likely have worked Sneath’s Mill and Brunswick mill.
In 1842, three ‘bakers and millers’ are listed in the parish of Long Sutton: William Anderson, Joseph Blower and Charles Triffit. Triffit is known to have constructed what later became Harrison’s Mill and so either of the former two millers could have occupied Sneath’s Mill at this time.
The 1845 Tithe Map for Sutton St Marys (‘otherwise Long Sutton otherwise Sutton in Holland’) depicts Sneath’s Mill. The entry within the Schedule (No. 1041) lists ‘Mill buildings and yard’, owned and occupied by Thomas Sargisson. The land is listed at 27 perches, with tithe payable to the vicar of £1 1s and 8d. The adjacent drain was held by the commissioners.
By 1872, the millers of Long Sutton included John Dring (Brunswick Mill), Stephen Major (Little London) and William Cunnington (Roman Bank). In addition, two millers - George Colton and David Goodale - are listed at ‘Gowts’. Brunswick Mill being clearly identified, the mills at Little London and Roman Bank must refer to Harrison’s and Sneath’s Mills. The latter lie to the south and north of Brunswick Mill respectively.
Ten years later, in 1882, William Cunnington is listed as a corn miller at Gowts (Sutton St Nicholas), while John Dring occupied Brunswick Mill and John Thomas Goulding was at Roman Bank. Harrison’s Mill lies some distance from Gowts, and so it is suggested that William Cunnington was miller at Sneath’s Mill from at least 1872 to 1882.
The name ‘Sneath’s Mill’ appears to have been due to the last miller, Mr John Sneath. John Sneath worked the mill from 1863 until the early 1930s. However, Sneath does not appear in the trade directories until 1892, and as noted above, different millers are listed at ‘Little London’, ‘Brunswick Mill’ and ‘Roman bank’ in 1882. In 1892, the entry for Long Sutton records ‘Sneath, John - miller and farmer, Little London’. William Cunnington is also listed at Gowts, but as a baker, not a miller, which could indicate that it was at this time that the working of the mill was transferred.
In 1905, John Sneath is listed at ‘Bank’, while Samuel Harrison is listed at Roman Bank. In 1919, two millers are listed at ‘Roman Bank’. John Sneath, miller (wind) is listed at Roman Bank, while Horace Harrison was in control of both Roman Bank and Brunswick Mill.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
© 2011+ All site content copyright of Sneath's Mill Trust Limited a UK Registered Charity
Registered in England Company No: 06415234
Registered in Charity No: 1123947