Sneath’s Mill is the only survivor of three corn mills shown on Bryant’s 6 inches to the mile maps of 1828 and 1887. The others stood about half a mile to the north and 120 yards to the south. The mill is variously referred to as Lutton Gowts Mill, Roman Bank Mill and locally as Sneath’s Mill after the last miller. A carved plaque, once a sundial, over the south door gives a building date of 1779 and the builder as Thomas Ayliff of Sutton St. Mary who leased the land from Joshua Peart of Lincoln’s Inn Field, Middlesex, for 99 years at an annual rent of £1.
After a succession of local millers John Sneath of Sutton Bank arrived at the mill in 1896 and worked it until the early 1930s when it was badly damaged by a gale.
In 1984 Kenneth major, an authority on mills, carried out a survey the result of which led to the removal of various components as a prelude to a restoration attempt by the Long Sutton Civic Trust. This failed, but in 2007 The Sneath’s Mill Trust was formed and has been successful in obtaining ownership of the mill and adjacent buildings and has the funding to proceed with emergency repairs.
The mill was originally listed Grade 11 but following a reassessment in 1988, the Department of the Environment upgraded it to a Grade 1 Building of Special Architectural and Historic Interest and placed it on the National and Local Register of Buildings at Risk. The upgrade was based on several issues. Smeath’s Mill is a small mill compared with other tower mills in Lincolnshire and represents a missing link in mill development. The wooden machinery, albeit in poor condition, is of great antiquity and the all wooden trundle gearing is a very important example of early mill technology.